Reaping Clockwork: Chapter 19
A Liar's Truth

[Kao Mikasa's P.O.V]


Kao arrives at school early today. Yesterday's encounter with Cedric Carlisle makes her nervous. She barely catch a nap last night which is why she is now beaming with annoyance. Her usual scary aura has propelled to an indefinite level. What makes her even more nervous is the Movie Club meeting after school. Nothing much has moved after the last meeting, prompting the team to complete the script for the autumn festival which is in two weeks. They most probably ditch the whole project considering how bad things are within the team.

Kao ruffles her bangs, grudging. She looks around her. The class is half full but neither of her two best friends is in vicinity. Kay is infamous for being late to school but that doesn't explain Valerie. She totally forgot about Valerie! Kao immediately reaches for her phone. Speed dialling.

"Kao!"

She turns around to the familiar shouting. Valerie is standing at the door, eyes locked onto Kao. Oh my this can't be good.

Valerie: You little...!! How dare you!

Valerie springs up to Kao. Her face is red, nose flaring. She too has a shade of fatigue under her eyes. No sleep? Kao is tempted to laugh at the sudden realization of them two pandas beating up each other in the classroom. Kao quickly blocks Valerie's punch. It's a light punch. She might just want to talk after all.

Kao: Babe.. Calm down. We'll talk this out..
Valerie: Talk my ass!
Kao: Wait.. Wait.. Wait.. Let's go somewhere else.

[Karyn Faraday's P.O.V] -rewrite

Kay felt a jolt in her tummy at the sight of Kao and Valerie laughing like nothing is wrong with the world. A part of her wants to join the pair but another part of her just wants to throw a punch at those pretty faces. You horrible-self-appointed-heroes! I don't need your help. They give me nothing but greater despair.

With her left hand still in the arm sling, Kay struggles to keep her backpack on her right shoulder. No thanks to her overweight backpack of course. Why did I even bother bringing my whole library to school? Kay mumbles under her breath. In a sudden, the weight on her left shoulder disappears. She turns around in surprise only to see Jayden next to her.

Jayden: You little alien. Why is your bag so heavy?
Kay: Yeah? I'm carrying a dead man in there.

Kay's snarky response sparks laughter in Jayden which is more surprising since Kay didn't intend it to be a joke. His laughter which immediately sends the girls in panic mode quickly gains them unwanted attention. Kao and Valerie turns to see the commotion as Kay walks in the class with her white knight carrying her backpack. How majestic is that? Kay feels a sense of grandiose as the rest of the girls who usually takes turn taunting her now stand in awe and wretchedly jealous of her entrance.

Valerie: Kay! Why are you at school?

Valerie jumps to her feet and gives Kay a warm hug and a light peck on her cheek. There's an immediate response of disgust across Kay's face which she quickly tries to hide but somehow caught by Kao. There's something about Kay. Her spontaneous reaction is easy to read. That mere second of honesty is something she could never turn off entirely and that is the very thing Kao immediately observes.

Kay doesn't respond immediately. Instead she just takes her seat next to Kao. The silence must have been a bit awkward for the rest of them that Jayden pokes Kay's shoulder lightly. This kind of interaction is what pisses Kao off. Call it jealousy or anything but she hates seeing things like that.

Kay turns her face to Valerie. Smiling, swallowing her true feeling.

Kay: I was bored at home so I figure I better come to school.. Learn some stuff.. -smile
Valerie: Learn? Hah.. You little brainy monster.
Kao: Valerie..
Valerie: Yeah?
Kao: We were going somewhere to talk, remember?
Valerie: Oh.. Yeah.. Kay, do you want to get out of here for a while? We're going to the rest room. Wanna come?
Kay: Nah. I'll stay here. You guys have fun.
Jayden: You guys had fun in the ladies room? What is it with girl and going to the ladies room in a group? Sheesh.. -mumbles.
Valerie: Oh come on. We have a lot to discuss.

Kay lazily rest her head on the table, shaking her head refusing to go with the girls.

Kao: Let's go Valerie. Seems like Kay and Jayden got something to talk about.

Kao grabs Valerie's wrist and sprint out the classroom leaving Jayden dumbfounded next to Kay. Kay smirks. Is that jealousy I sense? Sometimes you too can be read like a textbook Mikasa Kao. Kay got straight up again, hand rummaging her backpack.

Jayden: Did I do something wrong? -nervous
Kay: Apparently, everything..

Kay hands over the Encyclopedia of a Time Reaper to Jayden.

Jayden: What did I do?
Kay: Oh senior, you both are acting so naive.
Jayden: Oh, I'm naive now?

Kay smirks at Jayden. She's not in the mood to talk. Jayden stoops to her with a concerned look.

Jayden: I saw Jason leaving the hospital early yesterday. Did something happen?

Kay sighs. Yesterday. Yesterday is something she wishes to forget. She was so tactless. Now how would she ever face Jason again? Kay rests her head on the table, pillowed by her right arm. Jayden grab a chair facing Kay.

Jayden: You know Kay, sometimes you just have to let your guard down and talk about your problem to people. People who care.
Kay: Yeah? I don't want people to care. I just want to handle this on my own.

Kay's voice muffles as she hide her face in her arm.

Jayden: Your friends are very worried of you. We all were.

Jayden looks around. The eyes around are still pinned on them.

Jayden: Listen. Don't forget the club meeting this afternoon. We'll talk.
Kay: Can I not go? -shrieks lazily

Jayden ruffles Kay's bang as he got up.

Jayden: Jason wants to see all of us.

Jayden got up on his feet and leaves the classroom. Kay didn't even bother to wave good bye. She just lie there, thinking of a way to get what she need from Valerie. This is impossible. I should just go to sleep.

[Kao Mikasa's P.O.V]

Kao runs the water on her hand, roughly scrubbing her fingers. This is stupid. I'm so stupid for acting like this. Images of Jayden's laughing with Kay, his carefree interaction with her. Everything is mashed up like a big cliché. Kao immediately snaps out when she heard the flush. She turns off the tap, reaching for the paper towel from the dispenser on the wall. She sneaks at the reflection on the mirror to see Valerie walking out the bathroom stall.

Valerie heads straight to the wash basin, washing her hands carefully. When she finishes, she grab the silk handkerchief she kept in her blazer's pocket. Kao turns around, resting her body against the basin. She waits for Valerie to starts talking. Valerie seems less tensed.

Valerie: I'm still mad at you, you know. For ditching me like that.
Kao: I know. I'm sorry.. I just had to leave.
Valerie: You just had to leave? Oh wow..
Kao: You don't understand Val. Heck, I don't think I understand it myself.
Valerie: I know that you have a lot in your mind right now and me asking for your attention might seem a bit selfish but Kao, you practically shunning me out of your life. You both are.
Kao: No.. No, Val.. We're not shunning you.. -almost begging-like.

Valerie sighs. She turns around, copying Kao's stance. Arms folded, Valerie avoids looking at Kao. She's hurt. It seems.

Kao: I'm sorry Val. I don't mean to. I feel like you have enough trouble of your own to bother you with mine. I don't know why I feel so wretched lately. With Roderick gone, Kay acting up, I'm just.. I'm just too caught up. I can't handle Kay right now. I can't handle myself.
Valerie: You forget that Eric's my friend too. I too hate him for leaving like that. What happen to us Kao? We had so much fun together. Remember our Movie Club celebration? Your tea ceremony. That's two weeks ago. Just two weeks.We were so happy and suddenly everything just plummet into abyss.

Kao almost chuckle at Valerie's peculiar choice of metaphor. Very dramatic, Val.

Kao: You're right. I don't know. Ahh.. I'm so conflicted! I just.. Just run away from my fear I guess.
Valerie: Being 16 is too much for you huh?
Kao: Whaa? Hahahaha. Where's that coming from? Erie-chan you cheeky thing..

Kao laughs out loud. That was an unexpected comment coming from the Queen of rage. Valerie is holding her laughter, probably finding her response a bit too ridiculous for her chic image. She finally gives up and just laughing along with Kao.

Valerie: How nice if we can just laugh at everything.. Bad decision.. Wrong choice..

Valerie's complexion turns dark. Immediately her palm cup to her face. Her cheeks turn pink as her ears too.

Kao: Valerie.. Hey what's wrong?

Kao quickly turns to Valerie, holding her hand, peeking at Valerie's teary eyes. Valerie turns her gaze away, avoiding Kao's concerned look.

Kao: Look at me. Tell me what's wrong.
Valerie: This is so stupid.. Oh god, I shouldn't be crying..

Valerie tries hard to avoid looking straight at Kao. Kao on the other hand is determined to look only at her.

Kao: Val.. What's wrong? Tell me. I'm here for you.

It's a very weird thing to see someone as strong-willed as Valerie to succumb to her emotion. Kao cups her face in her palm, looking straight into Val's eyes. She sees that timid girl within that pale blue eyes. Kao sees the unmeasurable amount of  desperation in that eyes.

Kao: Is this about Luke? Give me the word and I'll beat him up for you.

Valerie chuckles. Her tears come dripping down. Kao pulls Valerie into her embrace, patting her head softly. Soft sobbing. Kao feels the warmth spreading from Valerie as they stands there within each other's embrace.

Valerie: Why am I crying for him, Kao? I know he would never feel the same way as I do. I know he would reject the proposal even before they even talk about it. I knew this. So why did I hope for a miracle? Why did I let mother to go with it? I'm so stupid.. I'm so.. stupid.
Kao: It's okay. Just speak your heart out.
Valerie: He breaks my heart, Kao. And he didn't even know it. Perhaps he didn't even care.
Kao: Why would you say that? You know how much he cares for you.
Valerie: Care? We're just business associates. The only care people have for me is business connection.

Kao holds Valerie away, just far enough to see her face. Valerie wipes her tears.

Kao: Business?? Valerie. Listen to yourself. You don't believe that.
Valerie: Is it not true Kao? The Killjoys joined our club because of the business potential we have collectively. Luke does not care for me. His family is even more so. It's all a façade. A mean of transaction.
Kao: Now you start sounding like my mother.

Kao reaches for Valerie's hand. She reveals Valerie's charm bracelet on her wrist.

Kao: You forgot about our friendship. Not everything in this world is about money, Valerie. Not everything is about corporate mergers. I think Luke understands this very well. You want to talk business? Let's talk business. People see your engagement as a paramount to Gevra Group power expansion. The Rockefeller would be crazy to turn it down. They're venturing into eastern Europe and this engagement is the biggest support they can have. You think Luke didn't know this? He's the next in line. He knows this all too well. Yet he turns it down. Why do you think that is?
Valerie: He's extremely stupid?

Kao controls her composure. Valerie is right on that department. Luke is very stupid to do that. Hah, that guy.

Kao: Yeah. That too but you're missing the point. Luke thinks highly of you. If he accept the proposal, he's throwing away his genuine feeling for you.Yes, he doesn't love you the way you want him to but that doesn't mean his feeling for you is worthless. Literally it worth the group's corporate margin should the engagement is successful.
Valerie: And that makes it okay?
Kao: I know you're hurt by his rejection. But you shouldn't see is as him rejecting you as a person, he's rejecting the idea of putting a price tag to whatever you two have with each other.Luke means well. You just have to see things from his perspective.

Valerie sighs. Kao thinks she gets it. She thinks Valerie always had understand it. She just needs someone to talk to her. Valerie calms down. She seems a bit more like her rational self.

Valerie: How would I know that?
Kao: Maybe, instead of running away from him, just give a chance to explain it to you.
Valerie: Really? You think so?
Kao: I know so.
Valerie: All right. I'll do that.. But only if you and Kay work out your issue.

Taken aback, Kao scoffs at Valerie sudden turn in their conversation.

Kao: What issue? What about us? We don't have issue.
Valerie: Oh god! You're acting like I don't know you at all. You guys have been quarreling ever since Kay broke her arm last week. Don't deny it because it's so obvious. Just talk to her.
Kao: I talk to her? She doesn't want to talk to me. She's in her cave again. Can't you see?
Valerie: Just drag her out. Face the problem. don't run away. You've said it yourself.
Kao: All right.. All right.. I'll do that. Jeez Eri-chan. You're a scary gang leader.
Valerie: I'll do anything to keep us together, happy again. Even if it means I have to beat your ass to set things straight again.

Kao knows it's not just a fancy thing to say. She knows Valerie means it. She knows it too well. Which is why she really need to meet Cedric again. A lot of questions needing answers and Kao has a hunch that they don't have that much time.

***

[Karyn Faraday's P.O.V]

The club house is not as busy as before. Most of the club has slowed down the activity to give way to the seniors to focus on coming examination. The manga club on second floor right in front of them however, are filled with nerds playing dungeon and dragons, sketching manga, reading manga, dissecting manga.. Anything interesting you can think of. And the only wrong picture in that is Kay not a part of it.

Kay sighs as she continues her chores to replace the club door plate.The juniors are busy with the movie preview with Luke and some are working hard on script writing with Kao. She was supposed to help Kao with it but somehow she does not want to be in the same room with her friends, especially Valerie. The seniors like herself are busy doing chores. Useless chores. Replacing the door plate. I have one hand to work with, can't you guys think of something less challenging?

Kay plops to her bum, giving up after failing to keep the plate on the center of the door before nailing them down. Lying against the door, Kay feels heavy, a bit sleepy. The autumn breeze sweeps through the window on the left, running along the corridor until it escapes through the window at the end of the corridor. This is perfect for my afternoon nap.

As Kay almost snooze off to dreamland, a thin tall figure emerges in front of her. Her eyes catch a glimpse of the feet before she could shut her them. No shoes..I know one alien who has tendencies to lose his shoes. A smirk formed on her tired face. But she refuse to open her eyes. Part of the reason is because she is too tired to bother and the other reason is because she enjoys the company, no communication needed. She knows that perfume. The perfume that still sticks to her other uniform. That sweet bergamot and musk.

She feels the plate in her hand slowly taken away. A weird sensation crawls on her skin when their skin touches. Is it weird to feel this way about you, kid? Kay's mind flail weakly to sleep. As she about to doze off.. BANG BANG BANG!

Kay's eyes are wide open. The hammering on the door now banging through her skull. Immediately she faces upward, looking at Marcus who is hammering the plate onto the door. Kay is about to yell her infamous ranting only to be rudely intercepted by dust coming from the door frame.

"Ark!"

Kay squeaks. She quickly removes her round shaped glasses, rubbing her eyes. Marcus ignores her, fixated to his chore. Only after the plate is secured to place that Marcus grabs Kay's hand and brings her to the nearest restroom.

Without much concern on Kay's muffled mumbling, Marcus turns the tap on, cupping water in his palm before gently runs it to Kay's eyes.

Kay: No, I'll do it. Just hold my hair for me..

Marcus gathers Kay's black hair, holding them from the running water. He quietly watches Kay trying to get the dust out of her eyes. Splashing and rubbing. And splashing some more. By the time the nasty dust washed off her eyes, Kay is already drenched. Marcus pulls out a handkerchief he kept in his pocket, handing it to Kay.

Kay: It's not the one you use to blow your nose, is it?
Marcus: ...
Kay: Never mind. I'll use the paper towel.

Kay reaches for the paper towel but quickly intercepted by Marcus. With his left hand holding Kay's wrist, Marcus gently wipes Kay's face with the handkerchief in his right.

Kay: I'll do it myself -struggle
Marcus: Stand still..

Unlike his usual unusual behaviour, his voice is husky, stern and collected. Subconsciously Kay just abide to his order. She lets him touches her face. She almost feels embarrassed of his gesture but she reminds herself, "Marcus is just a kid. This is no more than a guy's move to makes you feel overwhelmed."

"What are you guys doing?"

Kay turns to her left. Jayden and Jason are looking at her, confuse and some-what enraged. Automatically, Kay shoves Marcus away. Hurt by the sudden rejection, Marcus places the handkerchief and Kay's glasses in her hand and left the restroom. Jason later follow suit. 

Jayden: Err.. What were you two doing in the men's room?
Kay: It's the men's room? Hah.. I should have guessed.

Kay wipes her glasses with the handkerchief while heading to the door. Jayden is tailing her, still waiting for an answer. They are heading to the movie club room.

Jayden: If I don't know you better, Kay, I'd say you're a player.
Kay: A player? Hah..
Jayden: Yeah.. Suspiciously wiping each others face in the men's room.
Kay: Okay. first of all, He wiped my face. I didn't wipe his face. Secondly, I didn't know it was the men's room. And lastly, he was just trying to get the dust out of my eyes.
Jayden: Eyes? - stooping at Kay's eye level to look at her reddened eyes- Hah.. That looks nasty.
Kay: Careful. Kao might misunderstand this again.

Jayden springs away.

Jayden: What misunderstanding? -awkward chuckle
Kay: For someone share his deepest secret with me, you are unbelievably naive to act so oblivious about what I'm talking about.
Jayden: Hey..
Kay: Be honest with me. You feel something for her right? Don't even bother to deny it. It's so obvious.
Jayden: There's no hiding from you, is there?
Kay: My point exactly. Why don't you just confess to her then?

Kay stops by the window at the end of the corridor, resting her back on the ledge. Jayden runs his fingers through his black hair. Sighing.

Jayden: If I confess, what then?
Kay: What do you mean what then? Get married? Hahaha..
Jayden: I don't think it would be wise for me to marry anyone.

Kay almost laugh at Jayden's statement if it's not so true at the same time. He is taking this way too seriously. His gaze runs far beyond the labyrinth, the Swan Lake.

Kay: Senior, I'm not saying this because I'm trying to make you feel better but I don't think you are cursed.
Jayden: That's a shock.. -sarcastic- You're not the first to say that. Them guys, they don't really believe it until one day they see it with their own eyes. You were lucky that day I didn't kill you.
Kay: No, really. Just listen to me first. Reaction to blood is actually very common. Everyone has it. I have it too. But the normal reaction is that your body will lower down your blood pressure to reduce blood from flowing out. Your case however..
Jayden: The sight only elevate mine. I have no control over my action after that. My mind just went blank. Can't you see? This is not a simple case of hemophobia. It's a curse. More than a century old. Not trying to demotivate you or anything, but it's impossible.

Kay pause for a while, thinking of the most convincing way to make Jayden understand. The thing she read about Jayden. The thing she knows about him. It's not fair for him to continue being afraid of the things he does not fully understand. Her conversation with Sebastian only reconfirm her theory. Mind over matters.

Sebastian: Why would you need Young Master's Xu record?
Kay: Curiosity.. And I'm bored.. Just get me the thing.
Sebastian: It's not easy but I can get it for you.
Kay: Another thing.. Will Jayden ever cure his blood lust? In the original future that is..
Sebastian: He did, actually..

Kay turns to Jayden, looking very determined. Of course, to Jayden's eyes she is just a little girl with innocent haircut and funny glasses. Jayden sighs. In fact, that's the only response he has for almost everything.

Kay: You know senior, I think you're just afraid.
Jayden: Afraid?
Kay; Yeah. You said it yourself. It's part of being a Xu. The first born will bear the curse. You are afraid of being cured. You're afraid that you will no longer be a Xu.
Jayden: That's stretching it too far, kid. It's not that..

Jayden scruffs his hair. Again with the sighing.

Kay: Yeah? Is it though?
Jayden: Well maybe.. A bit. Still, it doesn't change the fact that it can't be cured.
Kay: Tell me, Senior. When was the first time you reacted to blood in such manner? Do your parents know about this?
Jayden: It started last year. I haven't got the time to tell them.
Kay: Does it always start at that age?
Jayden: It depends. My dad got it earlier.
Kay: Does he still have it? The curse?
Jayden: Nope. It's transferred to me. Only one will bear the curse at one time.
Kay; Interesting. So the only cure you know is by transferring the curse to the next generation? Easy then. All the more reason to get Kao to marry you.

Kay just burst in laughter. The idea itself is super creepy and inappropriate. But Jayden's face is funnier than her comment. He's actually giving it a thought. He shrugs away.

Jayden; That's not funny Kay.. I'm only creating another poor victim to this curse.
Kay; I'm sorry, senior, that's just too ridiculous for me. -laughing hard

At that moment, the bell rings. That's the end of obligatory club activity. One by one students start to leave their respective club room. Kay is still there, squinting her eyes, laughing too much. Jayden just stands there, trying hard not to burst on his own awkward response to Kay's childish taunt.

Kay; Sorry about that. But it's ridiculous that you have to wait for your wife to give you a son to rid you of your curse. Get married, pop out a baby and voila! Goodbye curse, hello little container of family's fate. That's just fucked up.. Excuse my French.
Jayden: Just shut up, you little mushroom head.

Jayden blushed. Feeling uncomfortable with Kay's endless taunting, Jayden locks his arm around Kay's head, ruffling her bang. Kay just let him be, she's laughing ever louder. Jayden is laughing too. Totally overpowering Kay, he actually tries not to hurt that petite frame, only imposing a small amount of force. Of course, like all good cliché, Kao and Valerie just walk out of the room followed by Luke.

[Kao Mikasa P.O.V]

More than her, Valerie is looking more displeased at the sight of Jayden and Kay playing round because she knows exactly Kao's feeling. Kao on the other hand, being herself, she couldn't bring herself to really get mad at Jayden or Kay. There's that little voice in her head saying something like "You shouldn't be mad, she's your friend. They deserve to act their feeling. Who are you to be mad?". But her other repressed thought has a different take on the situation. It says "That fucking slut. Of all the guys she had to choose him."

Kao turns around, rather than continues watching the thing that breaks her heart, she just wants to leave. But Valerie quickly grab her arm, steadfast.

Valerie: Talk to Kay. Do not ignore this.
Kao; Let it be, Val..
Valerie: Look, you are obviously upset by this. Talk to Kay. She's your friend. She'll understand.
Kao: I just don't want to do this today, okay?

Kao sighs as she walks away. Jayden is petrified for a moment. Valerie goes straight to Kay, grabbing her hand, pulling her away from the boys as they speed up to catch Kao.

Kay: Hey..?!
Valerie: Read the situation Kay.
Kay; What?
Valerie: Are you serious?

Valerie barely catches up with Kao. Just as they reach the stairs, Valerie pulls the girls together, entering the empty club room on the left.

Valerie; You girls have issues!

Kao and Kay look at Valerie blankly. They both try hard not to look at each other which only makes Valerie more furious. Valerie stands there much like a referee. Waiting for the girls to start talking out their problem towards each other.

Kay: What the hell is wrong with you?

Kay tries to walk away but Valerie quickly grabs her wrist, prompting her to stop.

Valerie: Me? Oh no missy. I'm not what's wrong here. Do I have to spell it out to you girls?
Kao: Let it go, Val. I just wanna go home.
Valerie: No way. I'm not leaving this. You two need to sort out your problem and we're not leaving.
Kay; Just drop it Val. Stop being so bossy.
Valerie: Bossy now, am I? I'm just concern, okay.
Kay: Yeah yeah what ever. I'm outta here.

Kay turn her back, heading out. Valerie grabs Kay's wrist, forcing her to stay.

Kay; What the fuck is wrong with you? Let me go!
Kao: Hey, you don't talk to Val like that.
Kay: Oh yeah. Should I bow before you two instead? Fuck off!

Kao almost plunge a punch to Kay's stomach for her harsh word. Kay, this is not you. Not the 16-years-old you. What happen to you? Valerie is biting her lips, trying hard to be patient. Kao drags Kay to the wall, away from Valerie. She needs to knock some sense into this girl. There's something bad happening and she can't point out what and it seems like Kay is the one who's most affected by it.

Kao: Why are you being so mean to Val? You have problem with me just punish me alone. She did nothing wrong.
Kay: Nothing wrong? You have no idea how much sin she committed towards me.

Kay stares into Kao's eyes with so much anger. Kao could see her trembling in anger. Kay's eyes glisten with tears.

Kao: Make me understand you, Kay..
Kay: You both need to stay away from me.
Kao; Kay.. Talk to me, damn it!

Kao pushes Kay hard on the wall.

Kao: What is it with you these days, Kay.

Kao's tone lowered down as she softly massages her temple.

Kao: Your 16 years old self won't do this to your friends. You know how much we care for you. I've tolerated your attitude, Kay, but this has to stop now. Shoving us away when you feel like it. Carrying out your little vendetta against us. I don't understand you any more.
Kay; Oh don't praise yourself. Vendetta? -chuckles- I believe you're referring to the Jayden's situation now, am I wrong?
Kao: Okay fine. You want me to be frank with you. Yes. A bit. It is a bit about him. You know how I feel about him, yet you still do this to me. Do you like him? If you do, tell me. I'll back off. but if you're doing this to hurt me, please stop.
Kay: So you think I'm being friendly with Jayden because I want to hurt you, is it? And now you're both ganging up on me because you're jealous.
Kao: You make me sound so petty..
Kay: Hah.. what a joke. Kao, maybe you forgot. We are not kids any more. For fuck's sake, grow up. Don't be so immersed in this teenage drama. You like that guy, just tell him. Blaming me for hogging his attention won't do. Now, if it pleases you, my lady, I'm leaving.

Kay pushes Kao away. Valerie stood there being clueless. She moves herself to Kay, blocking her from leaving.

Kay; Move, princess. -sarcastic
Val: Kay, if you leave now, we're not friend any more.
Kay; Good. Stay the hell away from me.

Kay shoves Valerie aside. She makes her way pass the corridor denying the wretchedness she felt in her heart. Back at the room, Valerie buries her face in her palm, crying hard without making a sound. It's over now, isn't it. Kao approaches her, softly pulling Valerie into her arm.

[Sebastian Michaelis' P.O.V]

Sebastian follows Kay into the labyrinth in his spectre form. It's painful to travel this way but it's the only way to keep his eyes on the girls without being physically seen by anyone. The cold he felt in his bone is getting worse. His body is reaching its limit.

He plunges into the rose shrub, shocking Kay who's immersed in her emotional escape. Kay stands above him, looking puzzled.

Kay: Where did you come from?

Kay offers her hand which Sebastian gladly accept.

Sebastian: Did you get Lady Valerie's blood?
Kay: Unfortunately, it's impossible. I can't get close to her any more.
Sebastian: This is unfortunate but it's not something you can help with.

Kay helps Sebastian up on his feet. She brushes off dead leaves from Sebastian's vest ignoring his obvious staring. Sebastian has seen the whole ordeal. He knew but he needs to say something to divert her attention from the fact that he 'magically' appears out of thin air. He hates to explain his abilities to anyone, especially Kay. Sebastian naturally gets Kay's backpack off her. They start walking leisurely along the rose shrubs. This is one of Kay's favorite place, Sebastian thinks.

Things are getting more difficult but not totally a failure. Sebastian never put much hope on Kay to get Valerie's blood. Yes it would be much easier if they could get the blood but they can do without the blood. The only concern now is the intruder. Kay is an important piece. She can't go back to the trio.

Kay is just the way he wants her to be. Alone and distracted. She seems so vulnerable. Sebastian almost feel compelled to protect her. There's something about Kay. Something magical. Something Sebastian hadn't seen for a millennia. But that's beside the point isn't it? There's something more important waiting ahead. The grand clock needs it's closure. The timeline needs to be reinstate to its original setting. Too much damage has cause haywire in the future. Sebastian can no longer see the paradox ripple.

Kay: Sebastian, there's something I've been meaning to ask you.
Sebastian: Ask away..
Kay: Why didn't you ask Kao to help with the blood. She's more capable that I am.

Sebastian clenched his fist. It's not a difficult question but judging from Kay's unconventional way of registering datas he can't avoid feeling a bit anxious. She is surprisingly very intuitive. And the way she manage to catch on to little details she had is like she is looking through thing with a magnifying glass, all the time.

Kay: Sebastian?

Sebastian turns to Kay with that same sly smile he always has.

Sebastian: It's complicated with a Mikasa. A tale for another time, perhaps.
Kay: I'm keeping a bookmark on this question. Just because I'm too tired to play this game of yours doesn't mean I would ignore this. You haven't won my trust yet, Michaelis.

That was fast. Sebastian hides his nervousness carefully under his smile.

Kay: Getting her blood is no longer possible for me. I wish not to get close to them for the time being. Or ever. So just so know, you have to get it on your own. Or just wait for December to come. It's not that far away anyway. Why the rush? I'm practically useless, to put it in other words. But I won't blow your cover or whatever. Do what ever you wanna do. I have no part in it.
Sebastian: Are you backing out?
Kay: I'm on the sideline. Just do what you have to do. You've said it yourself. Nobody's gonna get hurt once the original timeline is restored. So do it. I'm in no place to help.
Sebastian: Can I trust you not to double cross me?
Kay: Double cross you with whom? Get your act together, Sebastian. Leave me out of it.
Sebastian: I have a good reason to believe that the intruder already approached Kao. I just hope that you're not convinced by them.
Kay: Rest assured, I'm no longer a piece you could use in this battle. Be it yours or their side, I'm staying the hell away. Call me when you really need me but until then, leave me alone. I had enough of this nonsense. Now, just vanish or what ever.

Sebastian passes Kay's backpack back to her and just as she wishes, he vanishes.

***

[Karyn Faraday's POV]

She's been standing in front of Jason's house for quite a while now. It seems like she's in trance when she makes her way to this part of town. Her subconscious brings her here, like pushing her to do the very thing she hates the most. Lying.

Knock! Knock!

Why is she knocking? He might not even at home by now. After he disappears with Marcus, nobody sees Jason again. Or Marcus. Kay bites her lower lips, her heart is racing. And the door springs open. Marcus is the one to answer. Eyes wide open.

Marcus: Why are you here?
Kay: Senior?

Marcus immediately drags Kay away to the stairs. His grip is firm but not at all painful. Kay just stares at that hand wrapping her wrist as her body moves to his command. Marcus, who are you to make me feel this way? How is it that I can't remember seeing you this way? Marcus pushes Kay to the wall, huffing his bang as he rests his hand against the wall. It's not his usual image. But he never has that definite style. He's just Marcus. An alien that manages to make Kay flustered every time he's around.

Marcus: Karyn..

His voice is velvety almost magical like a mantra. Kay swallowed. Her heart is raging inside. Stop confusing me.

Marcus: You are driving me crazy.

At the moment he stands so close to Kay. It's almost suffocating how intense his begamot perfume is. It's not stinging instead it's maddening. Unknowingly Kay runs her fingers on Marcus' chest. He is surprised but he lets her. Kay could sense the same raging beating against her palm. He's nervous. Just as nervous as her. Suddenly he grabs her wrist, pushing it away from his chest.

Marcus: I'm ruined because of you.

Kay is confused with her own action when she suddenly pulls Marcus closer to her face. It happen so fast but at same time seems like a slow motion. Her lips are locked onto his. She loses control. Or rather she surrenders to her true feeling. She wants to kiss him. She always does and it's so confusing because she can't recall any time in the past of her feeling that way. He was never in her memory. He was a vanishing figure. Nobody important. So why is it that she feels so strongly for him? This is maddening. This is dangerous. But she lets herself melted into that moment of honesty. He is kissing her back, softly but assuring. He wants the same thing as her.

He pulls away. Cheeks blushed, breathing heavily.

Marcus: Stop doing this. You are making it difficult for me.
Kay: I'm sorry. I don't know what came over me.

Kay touches her lips, eyes running elsewhere. Why did I do that? Kay, you pervert. He's just a boy. But then he grabs her waist pulling her into another kiss. And she abides to it. They are madly into each other. Nothing else exist in that moment. Memories come rushing to her brain but they were not what she remembered it to be. What is this? This is not memory. Is it her imagination? But no. It feels so real. It feels like she lived in that images. The images burns her brain. This is not the first time she tasted his lips or it feels so. It's like she's reliving a dream. And before she knows it, her face is wet with tears, hers and his.

Marcus: You've remembered me.. You remember me now, don't you?

***
Saturday, July 25, 2015